How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 13506
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 4 yr old that is being bathed by my ex-wife to be

Customer Question

I have a 4 yr old that is being bathed by my ex-wife to be boy friend. If my son sees him naked is this a crime.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your question. After reading my answer, please do not hesitate to reply if you have additional questions or need more information. If you have no questions, I ask that you click the ACCEPT button so that I am paid for my time. As I do this for a living, not a hobby, please honor and respect the honor code, and compensate me for my time as you would any other professional.


It depends on the circumstances as to why he would be exposing himself, but it could be considered indecent exposure, a petty misdemeanor. Under the law, indecent exposure occurs where..."the person intentionally exposes the person's genitals to a person to whom the person is not married under circumstances in which the actor's conduct is likely to cause affront."


If your son just happened to see the boyfriend naked because they were taking a shower together, for example (and there was no inappropriate touching) or because he stumbled upon him using the bathroom, that is not a crime, as there is no intent to expose himself or to cause offense. If he intentionally strips in front of your son without good cause, that could be criminal, however.


JUST ANSWER IS A "PAY FOR SERVICE". Please click on the ACCEPT BUTTON for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. No payment for my time and effort is made until you click accept (even if you put down a deposit or have a subscription). A BONUS TIP is also appreciated. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney.

This information is limited in scope and is confined to the question asked and should not be relied upon to provide a comprehensive picture of any particular situation and you are strongly encouraged to seek counsel for further course of action, if applicable. In other words, this response is not intended nor shall it be construed as providing you with all the information that your legal questions/issues may require. If you do require legal advice and retention/hiring of an attorney, I encourage you to consult an attorney who is actively engaged in the practice of law in the area of law relevant to your legal questions/issues and who is admitted to the bar or lawyer licensing agency in your jurisdiction(s) or the jurisdiction(s) that has jurisdiction over your legal questions/issues. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.

RobertJDFL and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you. I am not sure if I feel good with the answer, but that is what divorce is a mess and a friggen nightmare.
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 6 years ago.

Well, exactly under what circumstances has your son seen the boyfriend naked? Was it intentional, or by accident?


Have you tried telling your soon to be ex that you would prefer if the boyfriend not bathe your son?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The boy friend bathed him and his brother. My son said he saw him in the shower, and that he took a bath with them. It all sounds like my son is trying to protect his moms friend from me, but I told him I want the truth.
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your reply.


As one of my colleagues corrected stated to you in one of your previous questions, there is no law that makes it illegal for him to bathe your son, though I too would be uncomfortable the fact that he is the boyfriend and is showering with your yong child.


Obviously, if you believe there is anything inappropriate going on, you need to contact the authorities right away. Also, have you discussed this at all with your soon to be ex? Maybe she doesn't know this is going on. Or she may be willing to agree that her boyfriend no longer bathe with your son.


As the other expert pointed out to you, you could also file a motion with the court for the boyfriend not to have that kind of contact with the child but before you do that, discuss it with the child's mother and see if a resolution can't be worked out.