Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My wife who is also my dentist accessed my medical records

My wife who is also my dentist accessed my medical records to give to her attorney during our divorce. She did it while at work. Is this Malpractice, or simply a computer crime x2 since she did it twice and gave it to 3 separate attorneys.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

Question: My wife who is also my dentist accessed my medical records to give to her attorney during our divorce. She did it while at work. Is this Malpractice, or simply a computer crime x2 since she did it twice and gave it to 3 separate attorneys.

Response: This is HIPAA violation because she disclosed your medical information to third parties without your authorization. You may report her to U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, which is the agency charged with enforcement of HIPAA:

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/complaints/index.html

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is it a crime committed with a computer and is it a conspiracy if the others take this info to do me harm in court.