Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

i have been offered a job contingent upon a successful background

Customer Question
check in a different state...
i have been offered a job contingent upon a successful background check in a different state. i am worried because my credit is very poor due to my husbands failed business and foreclosure in process. the consent i gave was for a background check. Does that include a credit report or do they need to obtain a separate approval for that? the state is CA. thanks!
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Legal
6/1/2011
Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Attorney replied 6 years ago
RobertJDFL, Attorney

Thank you for your question. After reading my answer, please do not hesitate to reply if you have additional questions or need more information. If you have no questions, I ask that you click the ACCEPT button so that I am paid for my time. As I do this for a living, not a hobby, please honor and respect the honor code, and compensate me for my time as you would any other professional.

Credit reports and the companies that compile credit reports are governed in California by the Consumer Credit Reporting Agencies Act (CCRAA) (CA Civil Code §1785) The CCRAA allows your employer to obtain a copy of your credit report for "employment purposes." (CA Civil Code §1785.11(B)) This California law goes beyond the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA).

The CCRAA gives job applicants and employees certain rights when a credit report is requested as part of an employment background check, including that your written permission must be obtained for a credit check to be done. The credit report cannot include any information about you that would violate equal employment opportunity laws, such as your age, marital status, race, color, or religion. Lastly, you are entitled to receive a copy of the report if you elect an employer to have it. The law also provides penalties to the company that issued the report and to the employer if violations occur.

JUST ANSWER IS A "PAY FOR SERVICE". Please click on the ACCEPT BUTTON for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. No payment for my time and effort is made until you click accept (even if you put down a deposit or have a subscription). A BONUS TIP is also appreciated. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney.

This information is limited in scope and is confined to the question asked and should not be relied upon to provide a comprehensive picture of any particular situation and you are strongly encouraged to seek counsel for further course of action, if applicable. In other words, this response is not intended nor shall it be construed as providing you with all the information that your legal questions/issues may require. If you do require legal advice and retention/hiring of an attorney, I encourage you to consult an attorney who is actively engaged in the practice of law in the area of law relevant to your legal questions/issues and who is admitted to the bar or lawyer licensing agency in your jurisdiction(s) or the jurisdiction(s) that has jurisdiction over your legal questions/issues. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.

So to be clear the fact that consent was given for a "background check" and the verbiage did not specify "Credit report" the employer cannot pull the information, correct?

Correct. California's law requires that if the employer wishes to conduct a credit check, they must first get your permission to do so.
RobertJDFL, Attorney
RobertJDFL, Attorney