Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I recently terminated an employee because she did not report

Customer Question
to work for three consecutive...
I recently terminated an employee because she did not report to work for three consecutive shifts. I left messages on her landline and mobile every day that she missed.On the third day I left her a message letting her know that due to job abandonment I had to let her go. Her mother has since filed a grievance claiming I am a bad manager and that I have manipulated the schedule to terminate her daughter. What is the best way to handle this? The three days in question were part of a long weekend and I had many staff requesting time off. I try to accommodate staff with requests but i never promise or guarantee that they will get it.it is all based on the needs of the business.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Legal
6/1/2011
Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Attorney replied 6 years ago
RobertJDFL, Attorney

Thank you for your question. After reading my answer, please do not hesitate to reply if you have additional questions or need more information. If you have no questions, I ask that you click the ACCEPT button so that I am paid for my time. As I do this for a living, not a hobby, please honor and respect the honor code, and compensate me for my time as you would any other professional.

The best thing you can do is document all the steps you took to notify the employee and the absences they missed to show the reason for the termination. Honestly, I wouldn't be too concerned in this situation. Unless the employee is covered under an employment contract or collective bargaining agreement, they are an at will employee. That means as their employer, you can terminate them at any time, for any reason, with or without cause, as long as the termination wasn't for an unlawful reason, such as discrimination.

Since the termination here was for good cause (missed work) it was perfectly legal.

JUST ANSWER IS A "PAY FOR SERVICE". Please click on the ACCEPT BUTTON for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. No payment for my time and effort is made until you click accept (even if you put down a deposit or have a subscription). A BONUS TIP is also appreciated. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney.

This information is limited in scope and is confined to the question asked and should not be relied upon to provide a comprehensive picture of any particular situation and you are strongly encouraged to seek counsel for further course of action, if applicable. In other words, this response is not intended nor shall it be construed as providing you with all the information that your legal questions/issues may require. If you do require legal advice and retention/hiring of an attorney, I encourage you to consult an attorney who is actively engaged in the practice of law in the area of law relevant to your legal questions/issues and who is admitted to the bar or lawyer licensing agency in your jurisdiction(s) or the jurisdiction(s) that has jurisdiction over your legal questions/issues. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.

RobertJDFL, Attorney
RobertJDFL, Attorney