How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 16624
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was reading older posts and was under the impression that

Customer Question

I was reading older posts and was under the impression that Virginia had no statute of limitations for crimes of sexual abuse. I was molested by my step father at age nine-ten and am now 24. I would like to know my options for bringing this man to face charges for the crimes he commited. I've now been told there is a 5 year limit since the last incident and feel like this man is getting away with it. No police report was filed by my mother after revealing this to her being that he was in the military and the bread winner. do I have any options in this matter other than reaching out to the local DA and hoping they provide a wire to get my step father or mother to confess to this?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Hello. My name is Alex and I will be happy to answer your question.

There is no statute of limitation on felony sex crimes.

In order to start an investigation you would need to file a report with the local law enforcement agency (police/sheriff's dept.).

Also if you have any witnesses/evidence it would be a good idea to bring it forward.

One of the reasons that prosecutors/DA are hesitant to prosecute crimes that happened a long while ago is that it is hard to obtain witnesses and also victim's memory and recollection might get clouded and distorted.

As far as wearing a wire, it would be up to the local police department and the DA whether they will decide to do it.

I am really sorry that this has happened to you and want to wish you best of luck.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

After securing witnesses/evidence would he be prosecuted for the crime or would i only be able to presue him in a civil suit

Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Unfortunately the statute of limitations for a civil (personal injury) damages is 2 years and had long ran out.

So it would be up to the prosecutor's discretion whether to prosecute this monster criminally.

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would appreciate if you would click on the accept button.
Please keep in mind if you already made a deposit or on a monthly subscription plan you will not incur any additional charges, but I will only be compensated for my time and effort only if you click on ACCEPT.
Bonus and Positive Feedback are always appreciated. Thank you and good luck!