How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Couple separated today (North Carolina). Husband drives car

Resolved Question:

Couple separated today (North Carolina). Husband drives car that was financed by both -- wife was primary and husband secondary signer on loan. Wife fears husband will not pay car note in timely manner and ruin her credit. What can she do?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

I am sorry that the wife is in this situation. The only legal thing the wife can choose to do is to physically drive the vehicle away (as the car is under both names, she has as much right to drive it as does the husband), and then take over payments. She cannot do anything beyond that unless she herself chooses to make the payments, which would of course maintain her credit in this situation.

Good luck.
Dimitry K., Esq. and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions