John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
Experience:  Over 15 years legal experience.
18914223

Miguel buys a truck in Texas, then moves to Washington. A year

Miguel buys a truck in Texas, then moves to Washington. A year later, he is driving his truck in Oklahoma, and causes an accident by running into another car, whose driver is from Florida. In what states will the other driver be able to sue Miguel? State the reasons for your answer.

Thanks for trusting Just Answer. As an attorney I will answer as clearly as possible. I ask for you Accept my answer so I am paid when we are done.

Washington and Oklahoma. Washington because the other driver can get personal jurisdiction over Miguel in the state where he resides.

Oklahoma because the state of Oklahoma can get personal jurisdiction due to the Oklahoma long arm state and minimum contacts established in International Shoe. By driving in Oklahoma Miguel had sufficient contacts with the state of Oklahoma that when he had an accident in Oklahoma the other driver could use the Oklahoma long arm statute to get personal jurisdiction over Miguel.

That is a great start for you, now do the rest on you own.