Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

how do you defend yourself against a sexual harassment cla

Customer Question
im...
how do you defend yourself against a sexual harassment cla im
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/14/2011
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 6 years ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
You make the accuser prove the charges which they are alleging while at the same time, discredit them and their witnesses. You would do this by presenting you own evidence and witnesses to contradict and cast doubt as to what they say was sexual harassment. Moreover, you look to impeach them when they testify based upon their prior actions.
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
if i enter into a personal relationship with an independent contractor but the relationship only occurs away from work and not during contracted hours is a sexual harrassment valid

If this relationship was voluntary, it would be hard to say you were sexually harassing this person if they agree to this relationship. If it ended but the behavior continued, there could then be a problem.

and if it takes place away from work can the business be liable?
They could since both people are involved in the business and if they were together, it was likely for work related purposes.
if they are together for non work purposes can the business be liable
If she agreed to the relationship then it would be hard to say it was sexual harassment.
what action can the accused take to stop the accuser from contacting current clients and community member making unfounded claims? Is slander illegal?
The accuser could not do that and could be subject to a civil lawsuit. Moreover, the defendant could ask the court to address this matter with him/her, at the next court hearing.
if the slander results in the accused losing contracts and therefore limiting there livelyhood does it remain a civil matter or become criminal?
Civil and you could sue for damages.
LegalKnowledge, Attorney