Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am throwing up and have the runs and have a slight fever.

I am due to represent...
I am throwing up and have the runs and have a slight fever. I am due to represent myself in Court at 8:45 a.m., but feel very ill. I didn't know who to call... If I call them at 7:30 a.m. when the Court clerk's office opens, will I have a problem, or should I go sick? It is regarding Temporary Conservatorship...I know there is a substitute Judge, but regardless...I am sick and exhausted.  Can someone help me?
5/11/2011
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Hello there:

If you can't make it, you can't make it. Call the other party/parties or their counsel (if they have counsel) and ask them to agree to a continuance. Then, call the courtroom where the matter is being heard and let them know what is happening. Although I do not know the particulars of your case, the matter will be continued in most cases. If it is not continued, you can file a motion to vacate any decision, but don't worry about that just yet. Make it if at all possible, and if it is not possible you need to see a physician a.s.a.p. to document your condition.

I hope that this helps you to understand the law in your situation. Let me know if I may be of further assistance. Thank you.
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Do you think I should call them now at 3:19 a.m. and leave a voicemail message for the State Attorney...or just wait until 7:30 a.m. to call the clerk?
I am waiting for your answer...
Don't telephone anyone if it means waking them up, obviously, but the important thing is that you get the message through, not what time you call. Assuming that you are only calling offices (and not people's homes), call everyone involved and leave a message, then call again in the morning to try to reach a live person.
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Brandon M.
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law