How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Legal Your Own Question
John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4631
Experience:  Over 15 years legal experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
John Legal is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im a Marine stationed in Japan for the next two years. My

Customer Question

I'm a Marine stationed in Japan for the next two years. My ex wife lost my original birth certificate, i ordered a new birth certificate and now it says Roman James Sawyers, my social security card says Roman James Riddle, how do i get my name changed back to RIddle on my birth certificate, especially while being over seas?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

I am an attorney with 25+ years of legal experience and am working diligently on your answer while I await your response.

Please tell me why your Station Judge Advocate stated you cannot do a legal name change

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

This is a Marine base, we normally have Naval lawyers free to us but all the comotion over here they don't want the navy here for now, the Marine Captain that took his spot is on the slower side, no legal history, he googled my questions, he seems to be of no help to me. He suggested this site.

Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.
First of all thank you for your service to our country. Now your explanation does make sense. You will need to petition the court for name change. Please tell me the name of your state of residence and I will forward you the forms
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I'm not sure if a standard form will work. My twin brother had to send in finger prints and do so many things he couldn't even remember all the steps he had to go through, he was in the same situation as me. I pay taxes to Colorado, i was born in Ohio. For the standard petition i read that you already have to have a name established.

Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.
I do not know of any other solution.I will opt out without charge so that another expert can take a look at your situation and assist you. Please stay safe and thank you for using JA
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your help, hard to stay safe though lol, occupational hazards. Thanks again Ma'am
Expert:  John Legal replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for asking Just Answer,

Let me also thank you for your service to our country. The prior expert is correct that you need to do a formal name change in Colorado, since that is the state that you are paying taxes and is your formal "residence."

You are correct that there are lots of hoops to go through to get a Colorado name change, including fingerprinting. Here is a link to the Colorado name change self help website.

I would suggest you review the Instructions for a name change and see if you can do this yourself. If not, you may have to hire a private attorney or you may be able to find a JAG Officer at a Colorado base that can help you.