LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

I rent a property and my landlord is giving us a hard time

Customer Question

I rent a property and my landlord is giving us a hard time after we gave him our 60 day notice our lease is up as of today, if i was to vacate the property to day can he still hold me to the 60 days notice.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 6 years ago.
Do you have a written lease or month to month? Did you give him the 60 day notice and today is the 60th day?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
its a written lease, we gave our 60 day notice back on april 14 th

When does the lease actually end?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The lease is up today
Unless there is a clause in the lease agreement that automatically renews your lease for another year unless you give 60 days notice of your intent to terminate the agreement and move once it is up, the landlord should not be giving you a hard time. Seeing how you gave the 60 day notice on April 14, which was 17 days ago, it would not be the required time period if applicable. Re-read the your lease agreement and see if it says anything about 60 days notice.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
our lease dose say we need to give 60 days notice and it will altimatilly renew for 30 days.

it also says ( either party amy end the lease at the end of the original term by written notice. landlord or tenant which must receive this notice at least 60 days before the end of term. this lease will automatically renew by its self for 30 days if neither party ends the lease at the original term or of any renewal form.
Based on what you now stated, you would have been obligated to give the landlord the 60 days notice as agreed. As such, you could be liable for the next 2 months as a result of failing to comply with the agreement. You may want to try and work something out and just agree to pay him 1 month and vacate so ,he can show the apartment and clean it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
now we gave him a security deposit in the begining for the last month rent or to be returned to us, Can he denie us the return of that, if he dose not accept the conditions of the appartment after we vacate

He could deduct money from the deposit to make repairs or fix damage, outside of normal wear and tear. You should do a walk through of the apartment with the landlord today, so he could pick out and address anything with you, that needs to be fixed, so you can get your deposit returned. Thank you and good luck. If you have not already, please click the accept button, so I can get credit for my answer. After accepting, you can still ask follow up questions.

Any other questions