How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27615
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter lives in Texas. She is 26 years old and recently

Resolved Question:

My daughter lives in Texas. She is 26 years old and recently ended a two year relationship and left her residence due to domestic violence. She was living with with a guy who still has all of her furniture, her laptop and some other personal items including her mothers ashes. She has gone back to the residence once with the police to retrieve as much as as she could fit in her car. Now, he has changed the locks. She is a full time student and has a small job that does not pay enough to really make ends meet. I have replaced her cell phone, fixed her car and done as much as I can. I have been unemployed for over a year now and live in another state. We know that he has over 375k in a bank account. She spent two years with him cooking, cleaning and assisting him with bills and now basically finds herself homeless. Does she have any legal recourse?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 6 years ago.
If there are items which still remain in his home that belong to her, she would be entitled to those back. However, as fas as any financial compensation or interest in his money, it does not appear that she would have any, unless there was a signed written agreement stating otherwise. Even though they dated for 2 years, she would not be entitled to any money. The cooking and cleaning are things which she contributed to the relationship, not something which he hired her to do and failed to compensate her as agreed.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you. One thing I failed to mention is that he did destroy some of her items like her laptop. Is there any way to receive compensation for those items?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 6 years ago.
Yes, she would have to sue him to recover the damages if he is not willing to buy her a new laptop and/or replace the items which were damaged and destroyed. If it was not his property and he destroyed it, he would have to pay for it. Thank you and good luck. If you have not already, please click the ACCEPT button, so I can get credit for my answer.
LegalKnowledge and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you