How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33554
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Tenants in Common.There are three owners,

Customer Question

Question is regarding Tenants in Common. There are three owners, one of which is living on the ranch property and untilizing a portion of it. He is not paying rent, but he is expensing his own purchases as those of the RANCH PROPERTY'S which is eating up what little money is coming in at the moment. There are no written agreements which allow him to live there rent free, but because he has the majority stake in the property we are at his mercy. Our share of the property is part of our mother's trust, and the attonery which was appointed by the court is NOT willing to pursue this matter. And on top of that said trustee choice himself as Attonery for the trust and co-attonery for the property in question. Does the Owner that is living on the ranch property have the right to be utilizing the property in this fashion with out being charged rent? The portion he is on; includes 3 barns which could be rented out for profit
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 6 years ago.
In short, yes. In a tenancy in common each owner has an absolute right to the whole of the property. So any or all of you could go and live there and have free rein over the entire ranch. To stop this you would have to file suit to partition the land. Similarly, you all have a right to the income, until such time as a court says different.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.