How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Brandon M. Your Own Question
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 12620
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Brandon M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello...sorry its so late, but I recently divorced my husband

Resolved Question:

Hello...sorry it's so late, but I recently divorced my husband because of extreme emotional abuse. Can I sue him for IIED or NIED? He did some truly outrageous things to me during the last five years of our marriage. On three occasions I had to go to the ICU because I went into A-fib as a result, and most recently, suffered a cerebral hemorrhage. I also went to a counselor to work through some of the duress, so my situation is documented.

Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 6 years ago.
Hello there:

A spousal relationship is not a defense for one spouse's intentional tort (IIED) or negligence against the other. The conduct must truly be "outrageous" to prevail in an IIED case, and in either an IIED or a NIED case the injuries must be "foreseeable", but there is not a legal prohibition in bringing the case itself.

I hope that this helps you to understand the law in your situation. Let me know if I may be of further assistance. Thank you.
Brandon M. and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you