MShore
MShore, Attorney
Experience:  Negotiate, Draft, and Review many complex commercial agreements each year.
17924466

I am involved in a research project. My theme of research

I am involved in a research project. My theme of research project was pretty clear from the beginning and every coworkers knew about my main idea of research.

I am doing a research on course redesign. My main idea is "allow the student finish the course early". My research will find the best model that will allow students to finish the course early.

One of my coworker is trying to take my main idea and doing her own project based on this main idea.

Is this fall under stealing the intellectual property?

Thank you so much for your time.
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. Did you copyright, patent, or trademark any portion of your idea? I ask because if not, it would be difficult to argue intellectual property rights were established, unless you circulated some aspect of your idea within the stream of commerce. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Regarding: unless you circulated some aspect of your idea within the stream of commerce

I emailed president of my proposal. I also informed dean, vice president of academic affair, many other people. Is that what you mean?
Not exactly, though it does suffice to establish that you created the idea first and therefore can preclude your classmate from taking the idea. This would be on equity grounds, not intellectual property grounds however.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't understand what " equity grounds" means.

You believe my coworker did not broke any law?

You don't think my case do not apply to this? http://www.stealingisillegal.com/morals.php

I really do appreciate your time.

What is advice on the best way to handle my case?
The article you cited mentions copyright, did you copyright your work? You mentioned previously that you did not.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Mr. Shore,

I don't understand all these legal terms. I am a mathematics teacher, and I find myself explaining mathematical terms and definitions in a simple terms. I beg you to explain in a simple term. I looked up copy right, but I have no idea what it really mean.

I guess I need to know what my right is in this situation and if I will need to obtain a lawyer.

Don't understand what this means
"Copyright is a set of exclusive rights granted to the author or creator of an original work, including the right to copy, distribute and adapt the work. Copyright does not protect ideas, only their expression. In most jurisdictions copyright arises upon fixation and does not need to be registered. "
ok, and please let me know if the following is unclear: copyright applies to written works, this is why the second portion of the quoted material states that copyright does not protect ideas, only their expression (i.e. only the format in which the ideas are communicated, whether as a lyric, audio production, book, etc.). Therefore, stealing an idea is not a copyright violation unless the theft also includes the manner in which the idea was communicated. For example, if an idea is reduced to writing, and the written work is reproduced or disseminated without the owner's consent, that would be a copyright violation. But if a person merely tells another person about an idea but does not ever take the step to document the idea, then the idea is not subject to intellectual property protection. Does this help clarify?