Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Can I sue a hospital for Hipaa violation?

Customer Question
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Legal
4/6/2011
Lawyer: Knowledge 24/7, Attorney replied 6 years ago
Knowledge 24/7
Knowledge 24/7, Attorney

Dear JACUSTOMER ndgtom6r,

HIPAA violations are federal violations, between the government and the hospital (there are some exceptions). If you have been hurt in some way as the result of a HIPAA violation, that is a civil matter, and it will have to be pursued separately from the legal matter of the HIPAA violation. Note that you really only have a case if you have been damaged in some way (that can be measured in dollars). HIPPA is not for an individual to sue it is more federal protection on your behalf.

Knowledge 24/7
Knowledge 24/7, Attorney

I can not find a civil rights attorney in my area. Is there some way I can conntact a civil rights attorney concerning this matter? Should I contact the ACLU?

Yours truly,

Lura J. Belden

THe best way to find a civil rights attorney in your area is contact your local bar association.
Knowledge 24/7
Knowledge 24/7
Knowledge 24/7, Attorney