How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My two sisters have Power of Attorney for my father, they both

Resolved Question:

My two sisters have Power of Attorney for my father, they both live in his neighborhood.

The eldest is a respectful, kind loving person who truely cares for my father, the other lives with my father and has been for over 30 years, as she is unwilling to grow up.

Recently, as of tonight, we discovered that the youngest has changed his house title, from his name to Hers, without his knowledge, without his financial advisor of 35 years, and without his Attorney's knowledge either.

Let alone, without our knowledge.

My eldest sister, discovered this as he lives in a Del Webb Senior Community and his immediate neighbors have contacted her because they are sure more than financial abuse is going on.

My question is such, since they both have Power of Attorney and access to his Millions, is this changing of his home title considered abuse ? And is there anything legal we can do to prevent any furthur uniladeral decision making on this siblings part ?

Please say there is. She is a drug user, my father has altzeheimers and is still able to function, when he is in our company as he feels uneasy being around the youngest.

Me and my older sister have our own homes and do not want or need his money, we just want to protect his assests.

We live in california
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

First of all, I am terribly sorry that you are in this situation. This is most definitely considered elder abuse, specifically elder financial abuse, and it is also most likely a breach of your father's fiduciary duty which the other sibling had on his account. The best and fastest way to stop this from taking place is to have your father formally write a letter removing her as the power of attorney. I would also suggest that you may also want to consider criminal charges.

Good luck.
Dimitry K., Esq. and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you