JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.
14211116

I work for a company that rents space in a discount store -

I work for a company that rents space in a discount store - they informed me tonight that they have to search everyone's personal belongings when we leave the store - i.e. my purse -I do not work for the store - and I feel that would be an illegal search without probable cause - i.e. see me or one of my associates taking something without paying for it and putting it in my purse - Do we have subject ourselves to these daily searches?
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 6 years ago.

JB Umphrey :

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

JB Umphrey :

A private company does not need probable cause. That's a concept that only applies to searches conducted by the government (e.g., police).

Customer:

so even though I don't work for the company?

JB Umphrey :

As for a private company, the issue is whether or not you have a reasonable expectation of privacy in your purse or other belongings.

JB Umphrey :

You do not have that expectation of privacy when you bring it onto their property.

JB Umphrey :

So, if you do not want it to be subjected to search, don't bring it into their building.

Customer:

Okay that's what I'll do - it will save me money too - their loss -

Customer:

Thanks

JB Umphrey :

You are most welcome.

JB Umphrey :

If you are satisfied that your questions have been answered, you can select ACCEPT to close this thread and so that I receive credit for assisting you today.