How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 55453
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Loaned friend $14,000 to purchase used Honda with friend signing

Resolved Question:

Loaned friend $14,000 to purchase used Honda with friend signing note to pay $420 month for 36 months and registered and titled car in joint name. Friend lives in NC and myself in NY. He made first monthly payment but has not made last two monthly payments and is not responding to any of my texts or voice mails and is driving the car. I don't know where he is living and am considering hiring a private investigator to find where he is living and car garaged. I have a set of keys and am considering retreiving the car and then take him to court to have car transferred in my name.. I this small court claim to have him transfer title?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Good evening. If you had him sign a security agreement originally when you made the loan and are listed on the title as the lienholder, you can simply go repossess the car and have the DMV change title. Otherwise, you have to first file a claim against him for the default under the note, get a judgment, and then you can go take the car. You won't be able to do this in small claims court because $14,000 is over the limit.



I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!


If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.


If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.


If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.


The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am joint owner as I mentioned so I did not put on a lien and am already aware that I cannot repo and am already aware the $5000 is maximum limit in small claims so it looks like as I was already aware should just go to a civil lawyer. My main question is it OK for me to retrieve the car since I have the keys and a joint owner?
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago. can go get it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Then once I have the car in my posession and hidden will start legal process in civil court to have him sign the title over correct?
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
That is correct.
Richard and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you