Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Ive been on Workers Comp. since January 27, 2011 because I

Customer Question
I've been on Workers Comp...
I've been on Workers Comp. since January 27, 2011 because I hurt my elbow, which radiated to my wrist and shoulder. Comp. is being discontinued but my arm still aches, burns and twitches. They want me to go back to work but I don't think I can perform production like they want. Can I get Disability which I have been paying for long term disability and company has short term?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Legal
4/1/2011
Lawyer: Roger, Attorney replied 6 years ago
Roger, Attorney

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney here to assist you.

You certainly have the right to file for disability with your local Social Security Administration office. If you cannot work, and if you can get medical justification for your inability to work, you should have a great chance at getting disability.

Even if you're denied initially, there are several levels of appeal that you can go through until you either get disability or exhaust the appeals process.

Should I get short term disability from employer first, then long term? I need to pay bills. Can I apply for SS disability while getting employer disability?

If you have short term disability insurance (like Aflac, etc.), you should apply for that to keep money coming in until it is determined whether you're entitled to long term (SSA) disability.
I have short and long term through employer. Should I request through them first? As of now I have only been on Workers Compensation.
Yes, if you have a private provider, you should apply there first.
Roger, Attorney
Roger, Attorney