Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

My daughters husband came home from work last week and just

My daughter's husband came home from work last week and just told her he was leaving her. They have only been married for 1 year. We live in California. They both had bad credit at the time, so my other daughter financed their rings for them. I also financed a vet bill for them. They have been making payments on both accounts.

My question is can we make him pay for half of the rings and half of the vet bills. My daughter is making the payments by herself right now. Can My daughter put it in the divorce papers for him to pay.

Thanks
Expert:  Sam replied 6 years ago.

Hi

Yes. Even though the rings were purchased before the marriage, she can request each be liable for the payment since it benefited both of them. The vet bill also, if the animal was one that as acquired after the marriage. If it was his prior, then it's his bill

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, so even though the debt is not in either of their names (but was accumulated during their marriage) he can still be held responsible for half of that debt? They have been paying the debt (to me and my other daughter) throughout their entire marriage, but their names are XXXXX XXXXX the debt owed.
Expert:  Sam replied 6 years ago.

Hi

Yes, if you can show that their joint marital funds have been repaying the debt then he is responsible for 1/2 the debt