Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

i just sign a 12 month lease and i didt move into the apartment.what

Customer Question
i just sign a 12...
i just sign a 12 month lease and i did't move into the apartment.what can i do to get out of the lease.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Legal
4/1/2011
Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 6 years ago
Richard, Attorney
Good evening. Generally there is no cooling-off period for leasing real property. Once the lease is signed by both parties, it becomes a valid contract. There could be grounds to rescind or break the lease if the unit was not acceptable. For example, if the unit was misrepresented as being something it is not or having something it does not have, a tenant may declare a rescission of the contract. Also, if the unit had significant defects or other problems, the tenant may also declare a rescission for these reasons. A valid rescission will terminate the tenant's obligations under the contract. In the case of a rescission, you must set forth the grounds in a written notice of rescission to the landlord and return the keys as soon as possible. Because there is no "cooling off" period with regard to apartment leases, unless the landlord is willing to allow you to terminate the lease, you are going to be obligated. There is, however, some good news. The law requires the landlord to mitigate damages. Mitigation means that the landlord is required to make an effort, once you give notice, to find a new tenant. The landlord will only be entitled to recover the loss of rent during the search time for a new tenant; but, once the new tenant makes the first rent payment, you are released from any further obligation under your lease.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard, Attorney