Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

if I am required to give 7 days Notice of Motion if I fax the

motions tommorrow which is Friday...
if I am required to give 7 days Notice of Motion if I fax the motions tommorrow which is Friday will that count as 7 days for a hearing next Friday.
4/1/2011
Joseph
Joseph, Attorney

Let me see if I can locate a rule on-point for you. I'll be back in a bit.

Thank you for your patience.

Ok I can send by email or fax tonight as well

I've been through all of the rules of civil procedure and I have been unable to locate a rule on-point. Having said that, I'm wondering if were researching a moot point. The fact of the matter is that you have not filed as of yet. However, you appear to be ready to file at this time. With that in mind, the prudent course of action is to go ahead and file, if not tonight by email or fax, then first thing tomorrow morning.

My speculation is that there will be no objection as this should clearly be considered sufficient notice. If there is an objection as to the time factor, I would suggest that your response should be that you provided seven days notice, counting the weekend, and that there cannot be any compelling argument that the opposing party was somehow prejudiced by the timing of the filing.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click ACCEPT. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!

Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

Joseph
Joseph, Attorney
Joseph
Joseph
Joseph, Attorney