How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in the legal field, currently specializing in criminal and family law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had filed an Enforcement action (final decree of divorce

This answer was rated:

I had filed an Enforcement action (final decree of divorce (Texas)) against the ex back in April 2009. On December 8, 2010 the parties closed their arguments. However instead of the Judge making a ruling he announced he was taking the matter under advisement. To date being March 31, 2011 (113 days later) said Judge has not made a ruling. It is my understanding a there is a 90 day cap on matters under advisement. What type of action or pleading should I file with the court to move this along?

It's always difficult when the judge sits on a ruling for an extended period of time; on the one hand, you want to get the ruling in a timely fashion, on the other hand, you don't want to upset him. My suggestion would be to file a motion for clarification. The body of the motion could go something like this:


  1. On December 8, 2010, the parties concluded the closing arguments in this matter.
  2. At that time, the court indicated that it was taking the matter under advisement.
  3. Based on the court's statements, the undersigned presumed that a ruling would be forthcoming in the very near future.
  4. As of the writing of this motion, the undersigned has not yet received a ruling from the court.
  5. The undersigned is seeking direction as to when a ruling will be forthcoming and/or if the court is in need of something additional from the parties to issue a ruling.


Send the motion to the judge, the mere receipt of the motion may trigger a response. Otherwise, simply set it for a hearing.


I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click ACCEPT. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!


Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

Joseph and 9 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you