Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I LIVE IN MICHIGAN AND I OWN MY HOUSE WITH NO MORTGAGE. MY

Customer Question
I LIVE IN MICHIGAN AND...
I LIVE IN MICHIGAN AND I OWN MY HOUSE WITH NO MORTGAGE. MY BOYFRIEND WANTS TO MOVE IN BUT DOES NOT WANT TO SIGN A CONTRACT. I AM NERVOUS ABOUT THIS AND I WANT TO KNOW WHAT RIGHTS DO I HAVE IF THIS DOES NOT WORK OUT TO GET HIM TO MOVE OUT. ALSO DOES MICHIGAN HAVE A LAW THAT IF YOU LIVE WITH SOMEONE FOR 7 YEARS AND BOYFRIEND AND GIRLFRIEND, CAN HE CLAIM YOUR HOUSE? THANKS YOU,. ILZE
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/1/2011
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Ray, Lawyer

RayAnswers :

Thanks for your question and good evening.

RayAnswers :

He would become a month to month tenant here.If you break up you would have to give him thirty days notice and then file to evict him.He would never acquire any ownership interest.But you would have to evict him here if you are the legal owner of the property.I think a lease here would be a great idea especially if he is paying rent.It protects you and you can evict on shorter three day notice if he quits paying.But thats your call here.

RayAnswers :

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Please remember to click the ACCEPT button so that I can get credit for the answer. Leaving a BONUS (tip) & POSITIVE FEEDBACK after you accept is very much appreciated.

RayAnswers :

He would not have any legal claims to your property here as it is your sole property and time would not change this.You owned it prior to any relationship.

RayAnswers :

Did you have more follow up?

RayAnswers :

If you have more questions please just ask.Thanks again.

Ray, Lawyer
Ray, Lawyer