Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

how do i find out my daughters blood type from the hospital.

Customer Question

how do i find out my daughters blood type from the hospital. I dont think shes mine.
do i have rights to do that at the hospital? im her dad.
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

How old is the child? Are you listed on the birth certificate as the father? Who currently has custody of the child?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Actually she was born in Okla. city , Ok. may 11 1979. Yes I am listed on her birth certificate as her father. She is no longer a minor. I just found out she might not be mine. Her mother and I are going through a divorce in the near future and I would like to know her blood type.

Thank you for your follow-up.

In that case the only way to get her blood type is through consent from your own child. If she consents to grant you her DNA, then you are free to take it and use it for a test (although being that your child is in her 30s, even if you are found not to be her biological parent, it will not change anything since you will still be considered her legal parent). There is no court order that can compel your child to grant you her DNA, which means that you simply have to ask. If she does not consent, you will not be able to compel her to grant you a sample.

Good luck.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

would it be possible for me to find out her blood type from the original hospital records? She does not know she isnt mine.

Thank you for your follow-up.

Honestly probably not. Many hospitals did not begin to keep detailed blood records until late 80s, early 90s, meaning that a review of her blood type would still not be sufficient. Plus, those records now officially belong to your child, and she would be the only one able to review them. You cannot demand them from the hospitals since if they do provide them to you, they will be violating your daughter's patient privacy, and therefore would be able to be pursued for a HIPAA violation.

Good luck.