How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Julie Mains Your Own Question
Julie Mains
Julie Mains, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience:  Extensive employment law, securities law, and estate planning experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Julie Mains is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Are there squatters rights in Indiana My father owns land

Customer Question

Are there squatters rights in Indiana? My father owns land in Indiana. Someone, whom we know, has planted trees. He made a camp on the property. He doesn't live on it, but is there on almost a daily basis. Is there such a thing as squatters rights in Indiana? How does it work?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Julie Mains replied 6 years ago.
He is trespassing and your father should file a complaint on the trespassing to insure that there is never an argument that he was complacent in allowing him access to the land. Adverse possession is a process under common law where a premises can change ownership - squatters rights are one form of advserse possession. Claiming squatters rights requires long periods of time such as 10, 15, 20 years. In Indiana, the time limit is twn (10) years and the one who is there for ten years must be there consecutively and pay taxes and assessments. By the way you have given the facts, it does not sound like this man's actions reaches that level. Nonetheless, the easiest way to prevent this time limit from starting is to file the complaint of trespassing and go on notice of the objection to his using your property.