How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jane Doe Deer Your Own Question
Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3896
Experience:  Atty. since 1986; Plain English answers to family law, employment, landlord-tenant, & other questions
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Jane Doe Deer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Trying to locate dis-barred, Gerald m. Shaw. He

Customer Question

Trying to locate dis-barred, Gerald m. Shaw. He stole $180.000 from a settlement account.. He has been charged by the for a federal crime too, but I am not aware of the nature of the crime. I would like to know what it would entail to file a suit against him. I cannot learn anything from the FBI about the currant status of his case. I would appreciate any unformation regarding how I may proceed. Thank you, XXXXX
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 6 years ago.

Jane Doe Deer :

Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

While we write back and forth, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don’t know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Sometimes I’m unable to read your entire question until AFTER I write back to you.


Although it’s usually five minutes, sometimes there can be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be researching the answer to your question, helping other customers, or taking a break. If we are writing late at night, I may have to go to sleep and resume helping you the following morning.


Or, if we are chatting, and I don’t hear back from you for an extended period of time, I will move on to other customers and then come back later to check for replies or follow-up questions from you.


I need the following information before I can answer your question:


Can you please tell me what

Please be aware that and are pay-for-answer web companies. You have offered to pay $28 for my work and I just need your acknowledgement that you will pay JustAnswer and me for the answer (as long as you are satisfied that I answered your question, of course).


I'll look forward to hearing from you,


Jane Doe Deer

Jane Doe Deer :

Oops. Can you please tell me what you have tried so far? For example, have you contacted the CA State Bar?


I don't want to go over that again, I'm reading iton my screen, why can't you?


Sorry, just read what I previously wrote, some was cut out.

Jane Doe Deer :

Oh, sorry, now I see it. Were you thinking of filing suit in state or federal court?

The processes are similar.


I personally had him dis-barred.about 06 or 07.

Jane Doe Deer :

By the way, have you learned whether or not Shaw had malpractice insurance?


Yes, paid us $50.000

Jane Doe Deer :

Unless I'm mistaken, being paid by the CAL Bar would have been money from a fund to right wrongs by attorneys. Malpractice insurance is usually from a company such as Zurich, that provides malpractice insurance to attorneys.

Many of the larger process server companies have access to an online research database called Accurint. Once online, they may be able to find Mr. Shaw's whereabouts, real property owned, etc. (Unfortunately, when one does one of those searches, the results also include old addresses). This may be the least expensive thing to try first. Note that he may be in federal prison.


I know his known home address, if he is stillthere Ihaveno way of knowing.


How do Ifind out if he has been convicted and/or sentenced. (I need a new computer)

Jane Doe Deer :

I need a new computer too! In fact, I was checking less than an hour ago!

I'm fairly certain that an Accurint search will provide that. I used to have an account (in fact, it's probably still active), and they'd charge "x" amount for a basic search (addresses) and then one could search a variety of other databases for additional charges.

However, as far as criminal charges go, you can sign up for a PACER account to search all federal court records. I haven't been on that system for awhile, but it was the most antiquated database you've ever seen - and hard to learn because it's so crummy (sp?). But it does work.

I'm not sure if there's a statewide CA database online, but there may be - you can Google and see.

But what I'd suggest is that you make your way to your friendly neighborhood county or state or law school law library (depending on where you live) and ask the law librarians for help in a search of criminal databases. They will have free (probably) access to Lexis and Westlaw, the only two decent legal research engines.

You can now access Westlaw from home on a pay-per-minute or something basis with a credit card, and the same may be true for Lexis. This means, if you feel pretty comfortable with legal research and don't mind paying for it, you can sign up for an account on Westlaw and pay for some research from the comfort of your own (failing?) computer.

Does that help, or am I rambling off topic? Sometimes I provide TOO much information to my customers, and they're overwhelmed.


ah Jane, if anything I am UNderwhelmed. You really don't know what I should or can do. I can appreciate your effort?, but I am no further in my quest to get my $ back. Should I agree to pay you the fee, can I add it to my grand total? What the hell,I'm impressed with your picture, ball cap, sun glasses,leaning against the railing of your boat.......

Jane Doe Deer and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 6 years ago.
That was a vacation picture. I don't own a boat, unless you want to count my kayak.

If you're not satisfied, you do not have to accept. I can either opt out, and see if another Expert will pick up your question, or you can be a bit more clear in explaining what kind of help you're looking for.

You asked how to find someone and how to find out information about him. I answered your question - Accurint is the best way I know, and it's what attorneys and process servers use. There are, of course, other products out there.

Do you want information about how to prepare a lawsuit or how to find and hire an attorney?

I am here to help people.

My best,