How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31687
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I work in a doctors office for the past 20 years. The doctors

Resolved Question:

I work in a doctors office for the past 20 years. The doctor's office employs about 10 -15 people. I was recently diagnosed with some major medical condition. I have been taking time off due to hospitalization, procedures and testing. But when I am at work, I have been very productive. Today my employer gave me letter stating that they will be ending my employment as of 03/31/11 due to me taking too much sick days. Do I have any recourse? Is it legal for my employer to termimate me due to medical illness? I really enjoy my job and willl ne deep finaical crisis if I lose this job.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney here to assist you.


Unfortunately, you're not covered by the Family Medical Leave Act because it only pertains to employers with 50 or more employees. If you were covered, you would be entitled to 12 weeks of time off without the fear of losing your job.


In any event, you can't be terminated because of your disability. However, if you are not able to work because of your illness, the employer has the right to find a replacement for you.


This is a fine line the employer must walk because they can't claim you're being terminated because of your illness/disability, but they can legally terminate you for not being able to work as required by the employer.

Roger and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you