How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jane Doe Deer Your Own Question
Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3896
Experience:  Atty. since 1986; Plain English answers to family law, employment, landlord-tenant, & other questions
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Jane Doe Deer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Where does investigation end and harrassment begin My son

This answer was rated:

Where does "investigation" end and harrassment begin? My son received a serious back injury 41/2 years ago. The state LNI dept, after about 6 months decided for some reason that he was a fraud. Believe me he is not! Since then they have done everthing they can to get him out of the system without treating him. They have had him followed and video taped, investigated his social security records to make sure he isn't "double dipping" without telling them, they stopped his time loss payments with no reason and violated the State of WA RCW that covers time loss. They basically admitted this when they sent him a check for missed payments amounting to a little less than $10,000. They tried to kick him out of the system for not succeeding in a training program when he had a valid, state RCW approved reason. His symptoms are getting worse yet they won't do an MRI (last one was 4 years ago) to find out what is going on with his back, and now they are having him followed again and have sent out the exact same letter they sent about his failing the training program. They have gone to a previous employer and his drs to get any medical information on an accident that happened 11 years ago. That back injury was treated and they closed the case. He worked for 7 years after that before this new injury. He is severely depressed, getting paranoid and I am ready to scream! I know they have a right to investigate if they suspect fraud, but they have no reason to suspect it,(I think it is because his original case manager didn't like him) they have been thwarted at every attempt for 4 years. Has this become harrassment?

Thank you for contacting Just Answer and for being a valued, repeat JA customer! I look forward to assisting you. If you started this question in "chat" mode I may have switched you to "question and answer." I sometimes have technical problems getting "chat" to work for me, plus it's hard to read and write in that mode.


While we write back and forth, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Sometimes I'm unable to read your entire question until AFTER I write back to you.


Although it's usually five minutes, sometimes there can be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be researching the answer to your question, helping other customers, or taking a break. If we are writing late at night, I may have to go to sleep and resume helping you the following morning.


I need the following information before I can answer your question:


I am a licensed WA State atty (Pierce Cty) working occassionally at JustAnswer under a pseudonym. I'm happy to try and help you.


This does sound like harassment. Please tell me, briefly, what you have done so far/who you've contacted to get L&I off of your son's back? And did an attorney represent your son in regards XXXXX XXXXX L&I claim?



I'll look forward to hearing from you,


Jane Doe Deer

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Unfortunately we have been unable to find an attorney to represent Mark because they don't want to bother until the case is closed. Fortunately, Mark is highly intelligent and a pitbull of sorts. He has researched RCWs and WACs pertaining to L&I so when ever they ran into a road block it was because Mark had found the law that covered his situation. One attorney actually sent a letter saying they weren't interested in representing Mark, but neglected to say why. The saddest thing in my mind is that L&I has no idea what is wrong with Mark's back. They haven't treated him, just spent thousands of taxpayers money trying to get him out of the system. The injury is so bad that he is in constant pain, can't work in his chosen field and because of high dosages of drugs his mind is often cloudy so study has been difficult for him. Thank you so much for responding. Having an answer from someone who is familiar with our state laws etc. is great.

Sometimes the way to address problems with state agencies is to start at the top.


Your son should write a letter to the Governor's office explaining the problem and asking for help. The letter should be short (no more than a page, single space) outlining the injury and what L & I is doing. Ask the Governor to look into this. (Gregoire won't see the letter - it'll be handled by one of her staff members).


Here's what will most likely happen. The Governor's office will send a copy of the letter to whomever is currently the head of L&I (I've lost track) and ask for a response within 30 days. The head of L&I will send the letter down the chain of command, find out what's going on from L&I's perspective, and write back to the Governor's office, who will then write to you. Or, you will hear from L&I.


This may or may not get Mark anywhere, but it is worth trying because (1) it shines a light on what is going on and (2) it's free to try.


As a person with lifelong back problems myself, I have an idea of what Mark is going through. I can tell you that medical massage and chiropractic treatment help me tremendously, but I know exactly what you mean about the pain pills clouding his mind. Still the letter should come from Mark, even if you have to ghostwrite it for him.


There ARE attorneys out there who may be able to help him. If you let me know what county you're in, I may have further ideas.


But he should look for Worker's Compensation specialists, even if he has to go to Tacoma, Seattle, Spokane, or Vancouver to find them (by phone should work).


Please let me know if I can be of further help. Sometimes it's effective to write to your state senator and/or representatives, but I like starting at the top - that's why I suggested the Gov's office.


My best,





Jane Doe Deer and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I need an attorney and I believe that you may be the right one. I am in Snohomish county but have no problem coming to you. Will you contact me at [email protected]? There is more that needs to be discussed regarding this case.

Thank you,

Mark Trenkamp

p.s. The name that will come back from that e-mail address is 'Mark Andrews'; it was first meant to be for junk but later became primary and I have not changed the profile.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I'm pretty much retired. I don't take clients anymore and, besides, I couldn't take you as a client having met you here.

I do wish you the very best,



Customer: replied 6 years ago.

That is shame, I truly believe that you may have been the person that I was looking for.

Anyway, you had said this earlier: "There ARE attorneys out there who may be able to help him. If you let me know what county you're in, I may have further ideas.". Can you recommend an attorney for me?

The state has broken several laws, been negligent and abused their authority. My doctor is also negligent, has violated RCW's concerning his role in the LNI process and is guilty of malpractice and malfeasance. He recently told me to f**k myself, said he didn't like me, would drop my meds and no longer treat me. He has thrown me under the bus and hurt my case with the state because doing right would require admitting fault.

What do you think?


I can't recommend individual attorneys.


There are a few places to look, besides the bar association.


The two I'd try are:




By the way, you know how you were all ready to hire me? That's not a good way to hire anyone, from attorney to contractor to house cleaner. Check references. Read the person's resume. Check the bar website and see if there have ever been bar actions against him or her. Be smart!








Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you, I appreciate your candor.


I would have spoken with you more/interviewed you, hence: "There is more that needs to be discussed regarding this case.", and "I need an attorney and I believe that you MAY be the right one.".

Anyway, I will check the links. Thank you so much. You have been very helpful.



You're welcome.


I work with Just Answer somewhat irregularly, but I'd be happy to have you be a customer again. Just ask for me by name.


Good night,


Jane Doe Deer

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There is no "ACCEPT" button so I cannot accept or give a tip. Is that something that you have to do on your end?
Thanks so much. Yes, it's at my end. :)