How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31672
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi i have a question.. Im wanting to change my daughters last

This answer was rated:

Hi i have a question.. Im wanting to change my daughters last name to my maiden last name i was never married to her dad and he has nothing to do with her. How can I do this??

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney here to assist you.


This is actually a pretty simple legal process. All you need to do is file a petition for name change; inform the court why you want the name change and allege that it is in the child's best interest to have this done.


You will, however, be required to issue process/notice to the father that you're wanting to change the child's last name. If you know where he is, you will have to serve him with a summons to appear. If you don't know where he is, you can publish a summons in the local newspaper to get this done.


Because of the requirement to issue process to the father, I would recommend that you hire an attorney to file this petition on your behalf. However, if you want to try this on your own, there are forms such as the one at the following link:


Roger and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you