How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jane Doe Deer Your Own Question
Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3896
Experience:  Atty. since 1986; Plain English answers to family law, employment, landlord-tenant, & other questions
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Jane Doe Deer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If my domestic partner has been given my power of attorney

This answer was rated:

If my domestic partner has been given my "power of attorney" (with my permission), can she be sued or otherwise discomfited by someone else, or is she immune from any issues I may have created?

Thank you for contacting Just Answer.



Answer: Your Attorney in Fact (AIF) (the person with the power under a Power of Attorney (POA) is immune from suit for your problems, assuming that you have neither a marriage nor a civil commitment recorded. An AIF just has the powers you've given to her (usually for such things as signing papers when you're away or disabled).


I'm happy to answer follow-up questions. If you have none, please

"ACCEPT" my answer.


There can sometimes be a delay of an hour or more in between my followup answers because I may be helping other customers, conducting legal research, or taking a break. If we're writing late in the evening, I may need to get some sleep and resume helping you the following morning.


Bonuses of even a dollar are much appreciated and help support this site.



I REALLY appreciate FEEDBACK so that I can continuously improve!


All my best,


Jane Doe Deer


Jane Doe Deer and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions