How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31788
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was served with papers that I am being sued by Target for

Resolved Question:

I was served with papers that I am being sued by Target for breach of contract (non payment of credit card). What should I do now? Obviously I do not have the money to pay. I live in the state of Texas.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney here to assist you.


If you owe the money, there's not much of a defense to the claim. In that case, your best course is to contact the creditor's attorney and try to reach an agreement to pay the debt back/reach a settlement.


If you can't reach a settlement, the creditor should receive a judgment against you for the amount sought, which can result in garnishments, seizure of property, etc.


Thus, it is much better to work something out and avoid a judgment.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
In the state of Texas what property can a creditor seize? Can they actually garnish my check, or the funds in my bank account, 401K, what about real property? Homes, vehicles, etc..
Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.

Your wages cannot be garnished under Texas law, but your bank account can.


The following link outlines property exemptions under Texas law:

Roger and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you