How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31787
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how do you get custody of a child that is put in the welfare

This answer was rated:

how do you get custody of a child that is put in the welfare system and both parents and children want to live with you? Not blood related but grandmother has been married in the family 2 times.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney here to assist you.


You would have to file a petition for guardianship of the child with the local family law court. The petition would have to prove that the child is better off with you than in his/her current situation.


I would recommend that you hire a local family law attorney in your area to help with drafting a petition.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The have already been put in a foster home and chins filed through the state. so would that make a big difference of how we do this
No, the process is still the same. You would still petition to gain guardianship of the child with the court.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
say the mother wants us to have custody of the children and wants to sign rights over to us? do we still have to file a petition?

Yes, you still have to file a petition because custody can only be changed by court order. The mother can sign a "joinder" in the action supporting your petition and agreeing to your request for guardianship, but the court will still have to approve your request.

Roger and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you