Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

how do you get custody of a child that is put in the welfare

how do you get custody of a child that is put in the welfare system and both parents and children want to live with you? Not blood related but grandmother has been married in the family 2 times.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney here to assist you.

You would have to file a petition for guardianship of the child with the local family law court. The petition would have to prove that the child is better off with you than in his/her current situation.

I would recommend that you hire a local family law attorney in your area to help with drafting a petition.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The have already been put in a foster home and chins filed through the state. so would that make a big difference of how we do this
No, the process is still the same. You would still petition to gain guardianship of the child with the court.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
say the mother wants us to have custody of the children and wants to sign rights over to us? do we still have to file a petition?

Yes, you still have to file a petition because custody can only be changed by court order. The mother can sign a "joinder" in the action supporting your petition and agreeing to your request for guardianship, but the court will still have to approve your request.