Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have been working for a gym as a private pilates trainer

for several months (i get...
I have been working for a gym as a private pilates trainer for several months (i get hourly pay for training hours) and as of last week they started requiring that personal trainers of all kinds work ten hours/week of floor hours (in most gyms, this means speaking to members about buying private training packages and/or showing them exercises to entice them to buy packages). My gym is also asking that we go outside and get names and numbers of potential members and hand out fliers. I just found out that they DO NOT plan to pay us for these hours. Isn't this illegal? I can understand if the agreement from the beginning was an unpaid marketing internship but that was not the case. To be honest, I do not recall what paperwork, if any, I did for them. I saw that there was a lawsuit against a west-coast gym called 24-Hour Fitness for requiring trainers to do unpaid floor hours. I am not someone who would sue over this but if they try to fire me for not wanting to do these hours, I at least want to bring up this point.
3/1/2011
If they are requiring you to do actual work, they must pay you for the time in the gym under the Fair Labor Standards Act. The US Department of Labor's wage and hour division is where you would complain for this type of activity by the employer.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Any information provided is not the practice of law but intended to direct you in finding an attorney in your locale.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney