How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 13861
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son was attacked and pulled out of his car. the individual

Resolved Question:

My son was attacked and pulled out of his car. the individual continued to hit my son, so my son fought back to try and subdue him. the attacker was extremely intoxicated and would not stop. In the process my son broke his hand. the driver of the car tried to back away and leave the scene and the attacker ran after and the car ran over the attacker. The individual recieved $100,000 insurance settlement for being run over by the driver. This has altered my sons life. He was preparing to go into the military after going through $thousands of dollars in medical bills however he still does not have use of his hand. The attacker had just been let out of jail a few days before this. My son now lives in PA and the individual who beat him up is now living in the town where the incident occured. He has since beat his mother up, his girlfriends 2 year old and we are getting calls for my son to take him to court. My question is, what is the statue of limitations on criminal and or cival cases. This occured in October of 2009. My son was studying to be a personal trainor and trying to enter into the special forces. He can do either of these things now and additional surguries may be required. If you could send me information regarding the statutes of limitations I would greatly appreciate it.
This occured in Pawnee County, in the town of Larned Kansas My sons email address [email protected] and my address [email protected] Thank you
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 6 years ago.

In Kansas, the criminal statute of limitations for a person to be charged is 2 years from the date the crime occured. The statute of limitations for injury to a person for a civil claim, however, are limited to one year from the time the injury occured.


Please let me know if I have not fully addressed your concerns.

JUST ANSWER IS A "PAY FOR SERVICE". Please click on the ACCEPT BUTTON for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. No payment for my time and effort is made until you click accept (even if you put down a deposit or have a subscription). A BONUS TIP is also appreciated. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney.

This information is limited in scope and is confined to the question asked and should not be relied upon to provide a comprehensive picture of any particular situation and you are strongly encouraged to seek counsel for further course of action, if applicable. In other words, this response is not intended nor shall it be construed as providing you with all the information that your legal questions/issues may require. If you do require legal advice and retention/hiring of an attorney, I encourage you to consult an attorney who is actively engaged in the practice of law in the area of law relevant to your legal questions/issues and who is admitted to the bar or lawyer licensing agency in your jurisdiction(s) or the jurisdiction(s) that has jurisdiction over your legal questions/issues. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.

RobertJDFL and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If my son were to file a criminal complaint, could he receive reimbursement for his medical bills, or loss of use of his hand.
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your reply.


Possibly. Filing the criminal complaint will only deal with the person who attacked him possibly facing criminal charges. However, the Kansas Crime Victims Compensation Board is a program that seeks to provide financial assistance to persons injured by acts of violent crime, and to pay for things like medical care, mental health counseling, etc.


You can read more about the plan here.

RobertJDFL and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you