Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

i was convicted of forgery & petty theft a few years ago. im

Customer Question
currently a nursing student thats...
i was convicted of forgery & petty theft a few years ago. im currently a nursing student thats about to graduate in 3 months. i was again convicted of petty theft of 40 something dollars at a grocery store due to that im a single mother taking care of my son & father. my sons father isnt helping financially. it was a mistake and i take responsibility for it. will this stop me from getting my license? please help me!
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Legal
3/1/2011
Lawyer: NateLawAnswers, Attorney replied 6 years ago
NateLawAnswers
NateLawAnswers, Attorney
Thank you for your question.

A misdemeanor theft will not stop you from getting licensed. A felony theft, or a misdemeanor drug crime, would be a different story entirely. Assuming the forgery was not a felony before, you should have no issues in getting your license.

I will be happy to follow up with you if you have additional questions. In the meantime, please click ACCEPT so that I can get credit for answering your question.

Thanks!

Nathan Moore

the forgery was never convicted as a felony. both were misdemeanors. this petty theft that i have gotten a few months ago will be reduced to an infraction after i complete 30 days of community service, i have until july to complete. do you honestly think i wil be ok? i've been reading posts about students getting denied their license after theft. im scared because i've worked so hard through nursing school. have u dealt with this situation before?

I have. In my experience, only felony thefts have been problematic. You should be okay.
when i send my application do you reccomend that i submit a letter explaining my situation & reasons for my actions? im so worried i cant think properly
Yes. Explaining everything on the front end always works better. They're going to find out. It's best if there are no surprises. If you preempt it with what happened and why, you're going to be alright.

No worries!
NateLawAnswers
NateLawAnswers, Attorney
ok thank you
NateLawAnswers
NateLawAnswers
NateLawAnswers, Attorney