How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Daniel Solutions Your Own Question
Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 9934
Experience:  Practing General Attorney,
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Daniel Solutions is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Child care in my condo being rented

Resolved Question:

I am renting my condo to a friend (his family) in the state of Virginia. There is no lease, just a verbal agreement. <br />He told me that his wife wants to start a small childcare business. Am I liable if anything happens?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for allowing us to assist you with this problem. I am not fully aware of what prior steps you have taken.

Yes, as the property owner you can be held liable for harm caused to the children by the structure such as lead paint, broken stairs, unlevel side walk, etc.

You would not be liable for harm caused to the children by workers such as neglect, losing a child, etc...

If you do allow such a situation you should make sure that the tenants take out sufficient insurance to cover such a law suit and also that you write a lease specifically holding them liable for harm resulting from not providing you notice of property defects and known hazard in an attempt to limit your liability.

You should have an attorney draft a very detailed rental agreement/lease to protect youself.
Daniel Solutions and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you