How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I file papers to sue someone in small claims court

This answer was rated:

How do I file papers to sue someone in small claims court? I live in Des Moines, IA, I paid a "mechanic" to fix my car. He stated what was wrong with my car and I was told he can fix it. 2 weeks and $480.00 later my car is in the same condition it was in before. I later paid for it to be fixed by someone else, 6 weeks later.

Dear JACUSTOMER - Small claims courts are designed for the public to be used without the need for an attorney. You can simply go to your local small claims court and they should have the necessary forms for you to fill out to file your suit. The filing fees are usually quite low, somewhere around $25-50 and the rules of evidence are not strict as in the general court system.


So you should not have any problem filing your suit and telling your story to the court.


Dave Kennett

Dave Kennett and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you