Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I waitress pulled my name off of a credit card receipt to look

Customer Question
me up on facebook. Then...
I waitress pulled my name off of a credit card receipt to look me up on facebook. Then she sent me a message with a passive aggressive threat.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Legal
3/1/2011
Lawyer: TJ, Esq., Attorney replied 6 years ago
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

What is your legal question for me?
*A waitress pulled my name off of a credit card receipt to look me up on facebook. Then she sent me a message with a passive aggressive threat. "ps it may be in ur best interest to be kind to the people who are taking care of you and you leave your name with"
Hi again.

I understand what happened, but I'm not sure what legal information you'd like to know. Are you asking if a crime was committed? Are you asking if you have reason to sue the waitress? Are you asking if you have reason to sue the restaurant? Are you asking if you can have the waitress fired?

I just want a little clarification so I know what kind of legal information you're looking for.

Thanks! Smiletitle="Smile"/>
I was wondering if a crime was committed and if I could have the waitress fired.
Hi again. Thank you for clarifying.

Merely looking at your name on a credit card, and then later looking you up on Facebook and sending a message is not by itself illegal. If the message were threatening in some way, then it's possible that a crime was committed. But the message that was posted isn't specifically threatening. If the waitress begins a pattern of harassment, then a crime may be committed. But again, that does not appear to be the case (yet).

I'm also sorry to say that you cannot force the restaurant to fire the waitress. The restaurant is entitled to employ anybody it chooses. That said, if you take this matter to the manager, he may discipline or fire the waitress, so it's certainly worth discussing with the manager, as I'm sure that he'd appreciate knowing that one of his employees is pulling cr*p like that.

I hope that information helps. Please remember to click "accept."
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney