How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 55607
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I sold a keeshond puppy to a guy 02/21/2011 he called me on

This answer was rated:

I sold a keeshond puppy to a guy 02/21/2011 he called me on 02/25/2011 said the puppy was malnurshised and had a broken tail. all of which is untrue of the puppy when he left my home. I offered to refund him for the puppy and asked what date and time we could meet to make the exchange. He said he was keeping the puppy and still wanted his money. I said no i would take the puppy and refund him. on saturday he sent the state trooper to my house to check for suspected negelect which was false. I received the report back today all allegations were unfounded. today he sent the aspca. and still said he is going to file a civil suit agianst me for false advertising and health of the puppy. What are my legal options?

Good evening. He is either entitled, as you have offered, to either return the puppy for a refund or keep the puppy with no refund. He doesn't get to select both. Let him sue you. He will have no chance in prevailing. Let him know, however, that you plan on taking the offensive by filing a defamation claim against him. Thanks to his overexuberance in spreading all these rumors about you, you have pretty good proof of his defamatory actions. To prevail in a defamation suit for libel or slander and recover damages, you must prove 4 things: (i) the defendant conveyed a defamatory message they knew or should have known to be false; (ii) the material was published (i.e., conveyed to someone other than you); (iii) you can be identified as the the person referred to in the defamatory material; and (iv) you suffered an injury to your reputation as a result of the communication.



I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!


If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.


If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.


If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.


The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
do i wait for him to file a suit or do i need to file a suit agianst him. also would you be able to refer me to an attorney in the jamestown pa, crawford county area?

If I were you, I would take the preemptive step of filing against him first. We are not allowed to make specific referrals, but if you contact the PA Bar Association...they do an excellent job with referrals...matching up lawyers' skills with clients' needs. You can find their contact information at the following website:


Richard and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you