How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118656
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im looking for an attorney that would look at a potential

Resolved Question:

I'm looking for an attorney that would "look" at a potential civil lawsuit against the California Highway Patrol. I was pulled over for speeding, not excessive, and my 78 year old mother was in the car. The officer that gave the ticket was verbally/emotionally absolutely out of control. I filed a complaint, it was investigated, and they said that they closed the case finding no fault with the officer. We were infuriating. My mom was "terrified" at his abuse. This would have to be accomplished, financially, as a percentage of a settlement or judgment, as we have no money for litigation.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Unfortunately, being scared or upset by verbal abuse even from a police officer is not something that one can sue over. If it were something that could be sued over, the courts would have lines around the block a hundred times because the botXXXXX XXXXXne is dealing with the police is not a pleasant experience and many officers are not pleasant to deal with. Unless there was some physical abuse and injury, I am afraid there is no suit to bring and with an internal affairs finding of no case that puts the nail in the coffin of your claim. Even if you may have a slim chance of a case, there is no value to it because there is no injury and I have had cases where much more was done to the person than being verbally and emotionally abused and had a federal jury grant an award of $1.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Any information provided is not the practice of law but intended to direct you in finding an attorney in your locale.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you