How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MShore Your Own Question
MShore, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 25285
Experience:  Negotiate, Draft, and Review many complex commercial agreements each year.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
MShore is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a court day tomorrow. I received a ticket for an expired

Resolved Question:

I have a court day tomorrow. I received a ticket for an expired registration. It's only 30 days expired and I'm up to date with the payments so i'm thinking I must have just thrown away the New registration card by mistake. So my question is this. Should I plea not guilty then tomorrow get it cleared up at the dmv? also how long until it becomes suspended?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  MShore replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. Yes, you should explain to the judge tomorrow that you are current with your registration and if possible provide proof of the same by completing an online request for a replacement registration card here: You would bring a copy of the proof that you have requested a replacement registration. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok thank you. Maybe there was a little misunderstanding. I probably didn't write it right. Tomorrow is just the plea not the actual trial. So I should just plead not guilty then get the replacement right? sorry if it's confusing
Expert:  MShore replied 6 years ago.
Yes, that is correct. You just plead not guilty then get the replacement. It is likely that the entire matter would be resolved tomorrow because it is such a minor infraction. The penalties for a violation of this NY law can be punishable by a fine of not less than $40 nor more than $300 or by imprisonment for not more than 15 days or both (imprisonment is very, very unlikely). The judge is likely to just issue a modest fine.
MShore and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you