How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask NateLawAnswers Your Own Question
NateLawAnswers, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10686
Experience:  Over 8 years of legal practice.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
NateLawAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My question concerns medical support payments of a minor child.

Resolved Question:

My question concerns medical support payments of a minor child. When the child was on the custodial parent's health insurance plan, the noncustodial parent paid half the difference (for the child to be covered) in the custodial parent's health insurance premium. When the child is transferred to the noncustodial parent's health insurance, is it customary for the custodial parent to be required to pay half the difference in the noncustodial parent's insurance premium (for adding the child to his/her policy)?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  NateLawAnswers replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

There would be an offset like that, but you may have to formalize the difference with the court. I am assuming your child support order stated the non-custodial parent was obligated for half of the non-insurance covered expenses?

Nathan Moore
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Correct. When the child was transferred from the custodial parent's insurance to mine, I didn't request an offset at the time. I was trying to be cooperative, and make things easier on the mother. Now she is asking for an adjustment in support, and I was wondering if the differential would be considered relevant to that action.
Expert:  NateLawAnswers replied 6 years ago.
Absolutely. The obligations have changed, and they should even out. Your support should be reduced by your insurance premium for the child, and she should now be obligated for half of the medicals costs not paid by insurance.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She failed to pat half in one such instance in 2009---luckily I saved a copy of the bill. Mother is---by her own choice---currently working only one day per week, hence the difficulty in paying her share of the bill.

Thank you for your assistance.
Expert:  NateLawAnswers replied 6 years ago.
No problem. Save the bills. The court won't hold her in contempt over them, but she will have to pay them.

If you don't have any further question, lease click ACCEPT so that I can get credit for assisting you..


Nathan Moore
NateLawAnswers and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you