How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FloridaLawyer Your Own Question
FloridaLawyer, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 741
Experience:  Former State Prosecutor, criminal defense, family law, real estate, & civil litigation
Type Your Legal Question Here...
FloridaLawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am going to ask some stupid questions, so please dont laugh,I

Resolved Question:

I am going to ask some stupid questions, so please don't laugh,I really need some help.I'll begin by telling you I grewup in Waianae,Pokai Bay HI.1950 thru 1964.The parcel of land we had was one of 45 to 50 seperate parcels.In 1978 my stepfather told me that my real father who I had grownup with but had remarried in 1965 had left me the parcell I greww up on.All I needed to do was to return home and the people at the address there would be waiting for me and that I had nothing to worry about.That's when my first wife died and then my mother and then my stepfather also died.The person I was to meet died in 1986,I did finally return.I met an older women that lived in the house I grewup in and after introducing myself she told me what I have written and about a stepbrother that my father and his wife had.She was very affraid that I would evict her,I didn't say anything about my intentions.Also the property has been cut in half,The house is on 1.72 acre,and the other now has a condo complex on it.I have called and talked to my stepbrother's wife three time's but he hasn't returned my calls.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  FloridaLawyer replied 6 years ago.

Hello JA Customer:



I am an expert here at Just Answer and I would be happy to assist you.


What is/are your specific question(s) with regard to the property?


Thank you,





Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I want the property that I was left by my father and what can I do about the condo complex that has been built on half of the said property.

Expert:  FloridaLawyer replied 6 years ago.

Ok thanks for clarifying that. There are two forms of ownership in Hawaii, one is called fee simple and the other is called a leasehold. Fee simple ownership means you own the land and the structures on the property. Leasehold means you own the improvements (structures) but not the land itself. Land leases are usually 55 years in length.


That being said, the first thing you need to do is find out whether you own the land and what kind of interest you have in the property. The document that evidences ownership in land is called a Deed. Here is a great website that may help you determine who currently owns the land and hopefully that is you!


If you are in fact the rightful owner of one or both parcels, you are free to lease, sell, encumber (mortgage) or improve (build on the property) as you wish. If the condo was build on land that you own, you are entitled to reasonable compensation and you can bring a legal action (lawsuit) against whoever built on it, to recover damages for the value of the property that was used by the condo.


I would suggest that you immediately contact a real property attorney licensed to practice in the state of Hawaii. Many attorneys offer a free initial consultation and some will agree to represent you on a contingency fee basis meaning there will not be any up-front fees or costs to you and you won't be charged anything unless there is a recovery for you.

FloridaLawyer and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you