How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116785
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a disabled person that was part of a volunteer fire department

This answer was rated:

I am a disabled person that was part of a volunteer fire department for 9 years. 2 months after I became Chief, 2 commissioners went to residents of the district and got them to come to the fire hall to have me removed from the department claiming that I was destroying the department. No one ever said a word to me about any issues. I became so stressed over the matter that I just resigned instead to avoid the humiliation and additional stress. I couldn't eat or sleep and cried for several days afterwards from the excessive stress that I was put under. I would like to know if I can sue this department for the unnecessary stress, humiliation and possible discrimination because I was a female appointed to be a Chief. 1 commissioner had made comments in the past that women should not be placed in the position of authority. I have been living 2 hours away from the fire department and have 17 month old twins and everyone was fully aware of this including the commissioners when they appointed me as chief and signed my contract. The same commissioner that has made comments about women also asked me, after he signed my contract and the meeting was over, if I could handle being a chief and taking care of twins. I told him it doesn't keep me from being a District Secretary, EMT, Medical Officer or the numerous other things I do/did for the department.  Everyone in the department knows that I am disabled. No one questioned the father of my twins who was a chief prior to me if he would have any problems taking care of twins and being a chief and he lives with me. Matter of fact when the father of my twins was chief he lived out-of-town for a year and a half due to work while being chief and it was never a problem.
If these questions were asked of you and nobody else, they certainly do give rise to claims for sexual harassment. As far as disability, you have not really given much evidence that the disability was behind the determination as much as sex may have been. Either way, the EEOC is where you need to file a complaint and you do not need an attorney to do so. If you hire an attorney, be aware, attorneys do not generally take these cases on contingency fees they charge at least a retainer of about $5000 and then may make a contingency agreement for a reduced rate, but these cases can get costly.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Any information provided is not the practice of law but intended to direct you in finding an attorney in your locale.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you