Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
20073497

On Febuary 9th my husband and I rented a room in a mans house

Customer Question

On Febuary 9th my husband and I rented a room in a man's house in Nebraska. We paid the prorated rent and 250 out f the security deposit, with the agreement that we'd pay the second half of the security deposit with our March rent. We gave our 30 day notice on February 15th and we moved out on the 16th of February, due to some disputes we had with him. He had us return the key and attempted to make us move out by noon. He posted an add on craigslist on February 15th to rent out the room, and again on the 27th. Are we entitled to our money back, or at least some of it because we only lived there a week? And is he legally allowed to rent out the room until our 30 day notice is up?
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 6 years ago.

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would be glad to help you

ANSWER

If you moved out, but had paid prorated rent for the month, then the landlord could show the room to prospective renters, but technically could not rent it until your prorated rent was used up. Unfortunately, you are not entitled to any of the prorated rent because, unless the landlord was able to rent the room. In such case, the landlord would not legally be able to collect the same rent from 2 sources for the same room. However since you gave him 30 days notice, you should demand the return of your security deposit in full,

_____________________________________

BONUS and POSITIVE FEEDBACK are Great Ways to Say "THANK YOU"

to an Expert Went above and Beyond in Assisting you

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I asked for the security deposit back, and he said because we did not pay him in full for the security deposit that he would not be returning it. We did no damage to the house, is he allowed to do this? Or is there any way I can make him legally give us our security deposit back?

He's just trying to intimidate you by using scare tactics. Demand the full security deposit in full, in writing and notify him in the letter that if you do not receive it with 10days of the date of the letter, you will file suit against him. You can sue him in Small Claims Court. You do not need an Attorney and the filing fee is nominal. Make a copies of the letter so that you can hand one up to the Judge to prove you demanded the return of your security deposit, but the landlord refused - that is a prerequisite to filing the suit.

Good Luck!!!

_____________________________________