Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Hello paul, I asked the question concerning route planing

Customer Question
Hello paul, I asked the question...
Hello paul,
I asked the question concerning route planing by a outside source. What if the vessel Master use a software program to assist in the routing planning, and the plan is presented in a template which is fully editable format with a disclaimer. It is my understanding, under IMO and STCW standards the Master must reveiw and must apporve any routing plan. Is there any way to limit.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Legal
3/1/2011
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 6 years ago
If the master modifies the plan, they assume full responsibility. As far as the software cases, I have not encountered any of those as admiralty really as not progressed into the computer ages with liability. On routing cases, the liabilty is the priXXXXX XXXXXability of the master, but it can be shared if the party who crafted the route was negligent, this is where the negligence standard comes into the admiralty, since the master is primarily responsible for checking and approving the route even if someone else did it by computer. Realize it is a balancing act, so the party providing the route has a negligence standard and master strict liability if they are found at fault.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Any information provided is not the practice of law but intended to direct you in finding an attorney in your locale.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney