Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

A FRIEND OF MINE HAD A CAR TITLE SIGNED OVER TO HER A YEAR

Customer Question
AGO. HER BROTHER PASSED AWAY...
A FRIEND OF MINE HAD A CAR TITLE SIGNED OVER TO HER A YEAR AGO. HER BROTHER PASSED AWAY 7 MONTHS LATER. SHE HAS THE CAR IN HER POSSESSION, BUT NOW THE FAMILY IS GIVING HER A HARD TIME ABOUT IT. A COP CAME TO HER HOUSE AND SAID THAT HER TITLE SUPERSEEDS THEIR PAPERS, AND THAT THERE IS NOTHING THAT THE POLICE CAN DO. ALL THEY WANT THE CAR FOR IS TO SELL AND GET THE MONEY FROM IT. THEY HAVE ALREADY SPENT THE LIFE INSURANCE AND THEN PROMISED TO PAY FOR THE FUNERAL AND THEN LEFT THE COST OF THE FUNERAL TO HER. NOW SHE HAS THAT TO PAY. SHE DOESNT HAVE THE MONEY TO DO MUCH. IS THERE ANYTHING SHE CAN DO? CAN THEY PUT THE VEHICLE IN PROBATE NOW WITH EVERYTHING ALREADY GONE?

A FRIEND/CO-WORKER
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Legal
2/28/2011
Lawyer: Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Attorney & Mediator
IS THERE ANYTHING SHE CAN DO? CAN THEY PUT THE VEHICLE IN PROBATE NOW WITH EVERYTHING ALREADY GONE?

1) They have no rights to the car. It was a gift from her brother when he transferred title over to her. It is no longer part of probate. So no, they can't put it in probate. As the cop told her and I agree, once a gift is made when the owner is alive, it is no longer subject to probate.

2) As to the money they owe her. She has the right to file a small claims suit. She would need to present evidence (either by witnesses or in writing) that they promised to reimburse her for the funeral expenses). There is no need for a lawyer to be able to do this as she can find the self-help books at the local law library and some court clerks may have packets.

3) Harassment charges meaning asking the police to charge them with an offense. So not sure how her funds would get involved here. If you mean obtaining a restraining order due to harassment, it is possible she can apply for a fee waiver where the court may agree that she pay nothing. However if she has money the waiver may not work in her case.

Please click accept, and I can help with further questions if you have them.

_______________________________________________

Please Note: JustAnswer.com is a public forum. JustAnswer.com is not a law firm. JustAnswer.com is only a question and answer site. Asking a question does not create an attorney-client relationship nor is your question protected under the attorney-client privilege. An attorney-client relationship is established when you enter into written contract for representation and pay a retainer directly with the attorney or attorney’s firm.

JustAnswer.com uses the term “Expert”. I do not hold myself as an expert when I answer your questions. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given.

My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer