How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask D. WINOGO ESQ. Your Own Question
D. WINOGO ESQ., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4714
Experience:  10+years of experience in all matters of civil litigation and Hearing Officer/Arbitrator
Type Your Legal Question Here...
D. WINOGO ESQ. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I get a court date moved on the day of court if I am sick

Resolved Question:

Can I get a court date moved on the day of court if I am sick and get a doctor's note?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  D. WINOGO ESQ. replied 6 years ago.
Yes. Contact the other side (plaintiff/defendant) and ask if they are ok with the change. If yes, then write a letter to the court explaining the situation and requesting an adjournment. State that you have contacted the other side and they consent to the adjournment. Include a self addressed stamped envelope so that the court can mail you the notice with the new date. Also follow up with a phone call to the court.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
who is the "other side" if it is for a traffic accident?
Expert:  D. WINOGO ESQ. replied 6 years ago.
In that case, write the letter directly to the judge. You do not need to contact the prosecuting attorney.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do I need to get the letter to the judge BEFORE tomorrow, and in the case it is not accepted, and I can't make it, what happens...I have a warrant and it goes on my record forever, I have to pay numerous fines, etc....?
Expert:  D. WINOGO ESQ. replied 6 years ago.
When is your appearance scheduled for?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
tomorrow and I have tried resolving it today but unsuccessful due to closures with the holiday.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
appearance tomorrow and can't resolve the issue until then due to closures from holiday today.
Expert:  D. WINOGO ESQ. replied 6 years ago.

Sorry for the delay.


You need to call the court first thing tomorrow morning and get permission to change the date. Otherwise, even with the doctor's note, if you don't show up, the court will enter a guilty conviction against you.

D. WINOGO ESQ. and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you